Sivasagar at a Glance
Historical Monuments
Tour Note

 

ACCOMMODATION

District Tourist Lodge
Circute House
Dak Banglow
P.W.D. Dak Banglow
Forest Dak Banglow
O.N.G.C. Rest House at Nazira

HOTELS

Brindabon
Sidhartha
Brahamaputra
Sky chef
Priya
Arnayapurna
Picolo

 

PICNIC SPOT

Borhil
Charaideo
Dikhowmukh
Near Joysagar Tank
Paani Dihing

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

SIVASAGAR

 

How to Reach Sivasagar

One can reach Sivasagar by Air, Rail and Road. Nearest Airport Jorhat is only 55 kms away. Nearest Railhead is Simaluguri (16 km) Deluxe bus services (both day & night) are available from Guwahati and other important towns.

Places to See

Ranghar                                                                                                                            
A little distance towards the North-east from this royal palace and by the side  of the Assam-Trunk Road stands another imposing two-storeyed building. This is Rangghar, the royal sports-pavilion of Ahom kings which was constructed during the reign of Swargadeo Prmafta Singha in 1746.
 

Kareng Ghar & Talatal Ghar                                                                                          
About four kilometers south to Sivasagar town, the seven storyed  Kareng ghar, the capital and military station of the Ahom kings, is: situated. First constructed by the Ahom king Rudra Singha in 1700, alterations, additions and new constructions to this palace were made by the, successors,of Swargadeo Rudra 

Singha. The Talatalghar made of brick and an indigenous type of cement was constructed by king Rajeswar Singha. It is a building of seven stories- four above and three below the-ground- over and above the two underground ways-the one leading to the Dikhow river is about three kilometers i length which were later blocked by the East India company. 

Gargaon Palace                                                                                                              
The principal capital of the Ahom kings was constructed by the 15th Ahom king Suklengmung in the year 1540. The structures were  made of wood and stones. It lies 14 kilometers to the east of Sivasagar town and three kilometers west of Simaluguri Railway Station near Nazira. The present surviving brick palace of seven storeys was rebuilt by Swargadeo Rajeswar Singha in 1752. Swargadeo Pramatta Singha constructed the brick wall of about five kilometers in length, surrounding the Gargaon palace, and the masonry gate in 1747. 

Charaideo                                                                                                                        
The tombs of Ahom kings and queens at Charaideo hillock which are comparable to the Pyramids of Egypt are, even in the present time of astounding scientific progress and development, objects of wonder revealing the superb skill of sculptors and the fine form of architecture of Assam in those days. About 30 kilometers from Sivasagar town towards the east and at the foothills of Nagaland, the first capital of the Ahom kingdom was established by Swargadeo Sukapha. This is also the place of ancestral Gods of the Ahoms and the sacred burial ground of the monarchs. The brick floor and stone pillers of "Deo Sal" are still lying on the summit of the hillock Deo Sal in Dol Bagan. Sivasagar Tank In 1734, the second queen of Siva Singha got the Sivasagar tank dug to commemorate the victory of her husband, and named the tank as Sivasagar tank.The tank covers an area of 129 acres of land including the four banks. The area of the tank is 257 acres of land. Although situated within the heart of the town, the water level of the tank is above the level of the town. On its banks are three temples- the Shivadol, the Vishnu dol and the Devi dol. The Sivadol is believed to be the highest Siva temple in India. Its height is 104 feet and the perimeter is 195 ft., at the base. It is capped by an eight feet high golden-dome.

Joysagar Tank                                                                                                                 
The largest tank in India and perhaps the biggest man-made tank in the world comprising an area of 318 acres of land including its four banks, out of which 155 acres, is filled with crystal clear water. An earthen water pipeline runs from this tank to the Rangpur palace (Kareng ghar) which is about two kilometers in length, for supplying water of this tank to the Royal Palace. 
 

Gaurisagar Tank and Temple:

The Gaurisagar tank was built by Queen Phuleswari Devi (1722-1791) and was dedicated to Goddess Durga. It covers 150 acres  and on its bank stand the Devidol, Sivadol and the Vishnudol temples. Gaurisagar is  12 kms from Sivasagar Town.

Rudrasagar Tank and Temple:

Built in 1773 by King Lakshmi Singha in memory of his father King Rudra Singha. On its bank stand a Siva Temple and it is situated 8 kms away from Sivasagar Town.

Namdang Stone Bridge:                                                                            

The bridge, a cut out from a single solid rock over the River Namdang 12 kms from Sivasagar tawn was constructed in 1703 by workmen brought from Bengal during the reign of King Rudra Singha . Today the NH 37 passes over this bridge

Ajan Pir Dargah Sharif:                                                                                                  

22 Km away from the SivasagarAt Saraguri Chapori  stands Ajan Pir Dargah Sharif. Ajan Pir was the first Muslim saint to compose "Zikir" in Assamese Language (160 Nos. Approx.). On the day of the "URUS" thousand of devotees gather here to pay homage to the memories of this great Muslim reformer.

 

 

 

 

Copyright 2004, District Administration, Sivasagar

Contents provided by :District Administration, Sivasagar (Assam)

Site designed & developed by : NIC, Sivasagar Unit & CIC Mathurapur