can reach Sivasagar by Air, Rail and Road. Nearest Airport Jorhat is only
55 kms away. Nearest Railhead is Simaluguri (16 km) Deluxe bus services
(both day & night) are available from Guwahati and other important towns.
A little distance towards the North-east from this royal palace and by the
side of the Assam-Trunk Road stands another imposing two-storeyed
building. This is Rangghar, the royal sports-pavilion of Ahom kings which
was constructed during the reign of Swargadeo Prmafta Singha in 1746.
Kareng Ghar & Talatal
About four kilometers south to Sivasagar town, the seven storyed
Kareng ghar, the capital and military station of the Ahom kings, is:
situated. First constructed by the Ahom king Rudra Singha in 1700,
alterations, additions and new constructions to this palace were made by
the, successors,of Swargadeo Rudra
Singha. The Talatalghar made of brick and an indigenous type of cement was
constructed by king Rajeswar Singha. It is a building of seven stories-
four above and three below the-ground- over and above the two underground
ways-the one leading to the Dikhow river is about three kilometers i
length which were later blocked by the East India company.
The principal capital of the Ahom kings was constructed by the 15th Ahom
king Suklengmung in the year 1540. The structures were made of wood
and stones. It lies 14 kilometers to the east of Sivasagar town and three
kilometers west of Simaluguri Railway Station near Nazira. The present
surviving brick palace of seven storeys was rebuilt by Swargadeo Rajeswar
Singha in 1752. Swargadeo Pramatta Singha constructed the brick wall of
about five kilometers in length, surrounding the Gargaon palace, and the
masonry gate in 1747.
The tombs of Ahom kings and queens at Charaideo hillock which are
comparable to the Pyramids of Egypt are, even in the present time of
astounding scientific progress and development, objects of wonder
revealing the superb skill of sculptors and the fine form of architecture
of Assam in those days. About 30 kilometers from Sivasagar town towards
the east and at the foothills of Nagaland, the first capital of the Ahom
kingdom was established by Swargadeo Sukapha. This is also the place of
ancestral Gods of the Ahoms and the sacred burial ground of the monarchs.
The brick floor and stone pillers of "Deo Sal" are still lying on the
summit of the hillock Deo Sal in Dol Bagan. Sivasagar Tank In 1734, the
second queen of Siva Singha got the Sivasagar tank dug to commemorate the
victory of her husband, and named the tank as Sivasagar tank.The tank
covers an area of 129 acres of land including the four banks. The area of
the tank is 257 acres of land. Although situated within the heart of the
town, the water level of the tank is above the level of the town. On its
banks are three temples- the Shivadol, the Vishnu dol and the Devi dol.
The Sivadol is believed to be the highest Siva temple in India. Its height
is 104 feet and the perimeter is 195 ft., at the base. It is capped by an
eight feet high golden-dome.
The largest tank in India and perhaps the biggest man-made tank in the
world comprising an area of 318 acres of land including its four banks,
out of which 155 acres, is filled with crystal clear water. An earthen
water pipeline runs from this tank to the Rangpur palace (Kareng ghar)
which is about two kilometers in length, for supplying water of this tank
to the Royal Palace.
Gaurisagar Tank and
The Gaurisagar tank was built by Queen Phuleswari Devi (1722-1791) and was
dedicated to Goddess Durga. It covers 150 acres and on its bank stand the
Devidol, Sivadol and the Vishnudol temples. Gaurisagar is 12 kms from
Rudrasagar Tank and Temple:
Built in 1773 by King Lakshmi
Singha in memory of his father King Rudra Singha. On its bank stand a Siva
Temple and it is situated 8 kms away from Sivasagar Town.
Namdang Stone Bridge:
The bridge, a cut out from a
single solid rock over the River Namdang 12 kms from Sivasagar tawn was
constructed in 1703 by workmen brought from Bengal during the reign of
King Rudra Singha . Today the NH 37 passes over this bridge
Ajan Pir Dargah Sharif:
22 Km away from the SivasagarAt
Saraguri Chapori stands Ajan Pir Dargah Sharif. Ajan Pir was the first
Muslim saint to compose "Zikir" in Assamese Language (160 Nos. Approx.).
On the day of the "URUS" thousand of devotees gather here to pay homage to
the memories of this great Muslim reformer.